Last week saw the Pound’s losses continue, despite the speech on Wednesday from Boris Johnson during which he attempted to galvanise the British public into banding together and tackling Brexit with positivity. Without any further clarification on the UK’s post Brexit position this seemingly did little to change market perception.
Early next week, on Tuesday, the RBA will release their previous meeting minutes. This is followed on Wednesday by UK inflation report hearings; inflation will be closed watched by the BoE when deciding on a possible interest rate rise in the future. Wednesday also offers us FOMC minutes from the US. Thursday sees the EU monetary policy meeting accounts, followed by Canadian Retail Sales, and on Friday we have Eurozone Consumer Price Index data to end the week.
As all readers are more than likely aware, this market is a strange one and still extremely politically driven, so do be wary of any movements regarding Brexit talks that may also impact the Pound at any time.
Below we have detailed some of the key data releases and events so you can keep an eye out for them.
- 24h – EU | Eurogroup meeting (EUR)
- 22:15 – Australia | RBA Assistant Governor Bullock Speech (AUD)
- 24h – EU | EcoFin Meeting
- 00:30 – Australia | RBA Meeting’s Minutes (AUD)
- 07:00 – Germany | Producer Price Index (Jan) (EUR)
- 07:15 – Switzerland | Industrial Production (Q4) (CHF)
- 09:30 – UK | Retail Sales (Jan) (GBP)
- 10:00 – EU | Consumer Confidence (Feb) (EUR)
- 10:00 – EU | ZEW Survey – Economic Sentiment (Feb) (EUR)
- 10:00 – Germany | ZEW Survey – Economic Sentiment (Feb) (EUR)
- 08:30 – Germany | Markit Manufacturing PMI (Feb) (EUR)
- 08:30 – Germany | Markit Services PMI (Feb) (EUR)
- 09:30 – UK | Average Earnings including Bonus (Dec) (GBP)
- 09:30 – UK | ILO Unemployment Rate (3M) (Dec) (GBP)
- 09:30 – UK | Claimant Count Rate (Jan) (GBP)
- 09:30 – UK | Public Sector Net Borrowing (Jan) (GBP)
- n/a – UK | Inflation Report Hearings (GBP)
- 14:45 – US | Markit Manufacturing PMI (Feb) (USD)
- 14:45 – US | Markit Services PMI (Feb) (USD)
- 19:00 – US | FOMC Minutes (USD)
- 01:15 – USD | FOMC Member Kashkari Speech (USD)
- 05:15 – USD | Fed’s Quarles speech (USD)
- 09:00 – Germany | IFO – Current Assessment (Feb) (EUR)
- 09:30 – UK | Gross Domestic Product (Q4) (GBP)
- 12:30 – EU | ECB Monetary Policy Meeting Accounts (EUR)
- 13:30 – US | Continuing Jobless Claims (Feb 9) (USD)
- 13:30 – US | Initial Jobless Claims (Feb 16) (USD)
- 13:30 – Canada | Retail Sales (MoM) (Dec) (CAD)
- 15:00 – US | Fed’s William Dudley speech (USD)
- 17:10 – US | FOMC Member Bostic speech (USD)
- 24h – EU | European Council meeting (EUR)
- 07:00 – Germany | Gross Domestic Product (Q4) (EUR)
- 10:00 – Germany | Consumer Price Index – Core (Jan) (EUR)
- 10:00 – EU | Consumer Price Index – Core (Jan) (EUR)
- 13:30 – Canada | Bank of Canada Consumer Price Index Core (Jan) (CAD)
- 13:30 – Canada | Consumer Price Index (Jan) (CAD)
- 15:15 – US | Fed’s William Dudley speech (USD)
- 18:00 – US | Baker Hughes US Oil Rig Count (USD)
- 18:30 – US | FOMC Member Mester speech (USD)
Sign up for your account today with Foreign Currency Direct plc
All the authors of this site work for Foreign Currency Direct plc, We have been in business for over 18 years now and are well placed to save you a great deal of money on your exchange, along with offering an extremely high level of customer service too.
If you are yet to open your account with us, there are more reasons than ever to sign up to our award-winning currency exchange service. Not only can we provide more competitive rates than the high street banks, but our service to our clients has recently been awarded the 2017 Gold Trusted Service by Feefo.